The Bunker Project is recorded with a live interactive studio audience. Join us for a show in person in downtown Vancouver or via Google + Hangout. Or watch live on Hangouts On Air.
Bunker Project Episode 126:
Show 126 – Not on My Second Screen
Round Table Intros:
Randal Orser @numbercrunchers
Bonnie Sainsbury @bsainsbury
Margaret Reynolds @bc_insurancegal
Marcel Lapointe @crazytvtalk
Adam Stanger @gamerhook
Andrew McGivern @podcasthero
Bob Garlick @bobgarlick
Satomi Hirano @satomi_hirano
Ian Nethercott @lovebuyingcars
Round Table Intro Question: Do you use social media platforms while watching TV to enhance the viewing experience?
- Randal has never tweeted while watching a TV show… but he does have a big 50″ plasma.
- Bonnie is one half of Women Talking Tech show… She doesn’t have a TV and doesn’t tweet while watching Netflix. She has mentioned what she is watching on Facebook occasionally.
- Margaret is one half of Women Talking Tech and also one half of To Finance and Protect which are on her Youtube Channel. She has Tweeted and used a hashtag while watching live TV. She is a triple screener.
- Ian has never Tweeted or checked in during a TV show.
- Marcel is co-host of Crazy TV Talk and loves live tweeting during TV but doesn’t get much chance because of the hours he works. If he worked better hours he would live Tweet everything. He likes Get Glue because people like to earn stickers even though it is a little dumb. Neilson will be using hashtags as a rating system now.
- Adam doesn’t do much social media while watching TV but he likes the audience interaction they promote during The Walking Dead. AMC also did this for Breaking Bad with audience interaction and their podcast.
- Andrew said that if LOST was on now he would get into the second screen thing with that show. Andrew has listened to an episode of The Podcast of Interest after watching The Person of Interest and it made him go hmmmmm… interesting!
- Satomi comes to the Bunker Project for great tech info and has decided to go with a Windows 8 Touch Screen laptop. We talk about her options… MAC Mini vs Macbook Pro vs Windows 8, etc.
- Ken is trying to get his new podcast going but has been working like crazy but it is coming soon. Ken has used Get Glue but not live while watching TV. He doesn’t use social media to interact with other TV watchers. One of Ken’s favorite apps is power toggles.
- Bob has tweeted while watching shows that are a few years old. Bob is wondering what is the best hashtag strategy.
Second Screen startups won’t be the instagram of TV because the incumbents will be able to offer more and shut them out.
- The NFL could offer additional camera angles.. behind the scenes.
- A TV Channel and Network could create an app that will destroy the second screen apps.
- Ken said viewership is dropping and people are no longer watching network TV.
- Marcel gets flowers… Unexpectedly.
- Bonnie used to use the second screen before there was a second screen. She used to call her friends and talk to them about a show during the show.
Netflix and House Of Cards:
Netflix getting into original content may change the way shows are created. The advertisers are not the ones who get to decide which shows get cancelled anymore. Shows that may have been cancelled because advertisers aren’t interested in the show would have a chance in the Netflix model.
Netflix Chief Content Officer said that Netflix is trying to become HBO faster than HBO can become Netflix. He also said Neflix is planning to produce 5 series per year.
Voicemail Feedback: Anthony from Richmond ordered the Nexus 4 but is thinking about cancelling the order and going with the Blackberry Z10, Lumia 920 or the iPhone 5.
- Bob looked up the Lumia 920 and says it looks like a cool phone.
- The downside to Windows Phone 8 is lack of apps.
- Bob recommends that if he has a Nexus 7 already he should go with the Nexus 4.
- Ken said the Z10 looks like an exceptional phone. Real Multitasking (not in and out multitasking). The Blackberry Hub is always a slide away. Blackberry Balance allows separate work and personal profiles.
- Ken likes the gestures for closing apps, etc.
- Andrew brings up the Samsung commercial that targets Blackberry and iPhone.
- Ian says the two players are Android and iPhone and everyone else is a wannabe.
- Bob steers it back to Marcel idea to go around the table.
- Marcel recommends Android.
- Margaret recommends the Nexus 4.
- Bonnie says anything other than iOS.
- Margaret wants to know what the next topic is because we killed this one… but we are in overtime so the theme music kicks in…
And that is the end of the show…
Call Toll Free 1-877-636-1474 and join the conversation on the show….
Wix.com is easy to use and kicks butt… make a site using Wix this week!
Check us out on Facebook for comments and fun photos from the shows.
Check out @BunkerLive for tweets and upcoming show topics. If you want to make a comment or suggest a topic let us know.
If you like the show subscribe by clicking a button.
Women Talking Tech
— Craig Griffiths
Ask Find Buy
If you like the show subscribe by clicking a button.
Please rate our show in iTunes – Every five star rating helps increase the exposure of the show. Also if you like the show please leave a comment or ask a question below, on iTunes or at our Meetup.com page!
About The Bunker Project
The underground Bunker Project is a meetup focused on Social Media, Internet Marketing, New Media and Podcasting. Set in the Bunker at the Barklay Hotel on Robson St. in Vancouver, The Bunker Project will appeal to those looking for cutting edge social marketing and new media information and to those who just want to socialize over a beer and exchange thoughts and ideas about social media.
Members will have the opportunity to participate in the Bunker Project Podcast which is recorded live at every meetup.
Hope to see you soon at The Bunker!
Andrew McGivern & Bob Garlick